Saturday, June 27, 2009

Virtuality & Moon (Spoilers)

Virtuality

I caught the premiere/tv movie for Virtuality last night.
I really shouldn't get attached, but they left a lot of interesting questions and possibilities open and hanging, and the risks they took paid off big time. The first thirty minutes or so were kind of slow, as these things tend to be, but once they got into the affair (ooo) and then the launch (OOO!!), it picked up. Also, that launch sequence was awesome. That and the other nods to classic sci-fi nourished my nerd brain to fullness, which might explain why I, uh, forgot to eat dinner. *facepalm*

My favorites so far are Jimmy and Billie, and the guy with the dead son (too many characters to remember by name this early). Wanna-be Starbuck made me cringe, but that's probably my irrational dislike of Clea DuVall talking, and she redeemed herself by becoming Billie's buddycop at the end. I could get into that.

I know, I know. It's Fox, don't even go there.

Moon

It's the kind of beastly weekend here where my apartment stays boiling until way late, so I escaped at seven to go see Moon.

It was very good, but not quite as good as I wanted it to be. To be honest, I think I set my expectations a little too high. Sam Rockwell was fantastic, but the plot was kind of predictable in a movie that felt like it shouldn't have been. I felt like I was always a few steps ahead, and I find it frustrating waiting for the character(s) in a film to catch up. Guessing correctly ahead didn't ruin the rest like it did The Sixth Sense, though. Conceptually, it also drew from the classic sci-fi pool, making my weekend a very nerdy one, indeed, despite a couple points of science fail.

Bottom line: If an arty theatre near you is showing Moon, I would recommend getting on that.

No comments:

Post a Comment