My company organizes big community service outings every year at this time, and today was the one I and a whole lot of people I work with signed up to do. We went to Half Moon Bay to do beach landscape recovery work. I spent about three hours whacking away at mustard and hemlock with a hoe and ripping ice plant out of the sand. I liked the second part better, although I fear for my back tomorrow.
One part of the day was kind of a bummer. During the hoeing portion, a group discovered a burrow of teeeeeeeeeeeeny baby bunnies! So cute! So were were all jazzed about that, and when three of us (IL, SP, me) were working around a different bush and heard squeaking, we got excited for more cute things. We couldn't see it under the thick growth but were really curious, so we started lifting up branches from different sides to try and figure it out. And, well:
IL: I see it! I think it's a bunny...or a mouse?
Me: Oh yeah! Looks like a bunny.
IL (looking into the darkness at wiggly, twitchy baby bunny): What's it doing?
SP: OMG a snake is eating it!
All of us: WAH! *drop branches and leap back*
Everyone else: WTF?
Me: Yeah, it's a bunny being eaten by a snake.
Everyone else: :-(
Aside from that, we made a good dent in the brush, and it was more fun - mostly - than sitting at my desk.
Tuesday, June 9, 2009
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment