Sunday, May 31, 2009

Up! (Spoilers)

LK and I took our sunburned selves to see Up today, and it was fantastic! You should see it.

Six months ago, I was very "meh" on this movie, because the concept wasn't appealing and it was Yet Another Boy Movie from Pixar. Then con season started up, and I saw extended clips, and WOW, they were hilarious! So it was with high anticipation that I went into the theatre, and even though I was battling a pretty crappy physical state, it did not disappoint!

Up is both laugh-out-loud funny and boy-I'm-glad-this-theatre-is-dark tear-jerky, with a lot more of the former than the latter. If the previews made you smile or giggle, you'll really enjoy the full thing. And yeah, the movie is almost entirely boys, but I enjoyed it so much - and the female characters that did exist were so awesome - that I could forgive it. (Although next time, please Pixar, give us a female protagonist?)

Other things! Everything about the kid is funny. Almost everything about the dog is funny. Actually, Dug is kind of a brilliant concept. He's not really anthropomorphic in the classic Disney way; everything he "says" really is a translation of simple dog thought. Stylistically, the film is gorgeous, of course. And if the battle at the end is a little less great than the rest, as I have seen said elsewhere, I was so into it that I couldn't bring myself to care.

Due to me mis-reading the schedule, we didn't see it in 3-D, but I would absolutely go again to get the full experience.

No comments:

Post a Comment